miércoles, mayo 13, 2009

21. The linger

Publicado por Alba |

Someone who could make an honest woman out of me. Such a ridiculous thought. That ship has sailed, I was sure, looking absent-mindedly at the young breeders, with all of their cubs, inappropriately misbehaving around the place. Way too fancy a restaurant to come even close to a family venue.

A messy blonde brat with a runny nose tripped and fell flat on his face. While he was crying hysterically still on the ground the hostess stopped dead in order not to run the kid over, which consequently made a rushing waiter drop a couple of very expensive looking glasses of wine. All of this while the menace's parents chatted casually with another couple, oblivious to the whole ordeal. It's little occurrences like these that help me fill my self-sufficiency monthly quota.

My freedom rush was cut short when a temporary insanity gust came and blew me off my high horse. Seeing her there, already waiting at the table, more polished than usual and idly swirling her glass of Vermentino, kicked me hard. I couldn't say why, it just did. She looked a little nervous, impatient. Anxious. And, out of nowhere, that monstrous thought.

Timing is everything, really, in all situations. If I had lingered for a couple of extra seconds, I might have forced myself to run the gauntlet of family life, with all that it entails. I will not go down by friendly fire, thank you very much. Most of my fantasies entertain abused feelings and play with ambiguous unrequitedness for a reason.

Instead, I shook that evil twitch from hell and, turning around at once, run for my life.

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Subscribe